The Letters of Geerhardus Vos



  • The Letters of Geerhardus Vos
  • Hardcover: 274 pages
  • Publisher: P & R Publishing (February 9, 2006)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0875521878
  • ISBN-13: 978-0875521879
  • Read: Yes
  • Remarks: Vos: the relatable giant. The Letters of Geerhardus Vos was a satisfying read. Condensed into 274 pages flows a biographical tale of a theologian who struggled to navigate the waters between his theological Dutch roots and new life in America. From his early days at Princeton with the Hodge's and Warfield to developing the field of Biblical Theology Vos's Letters is an engaging read from beginning to end.

  • I appreciate being able to see and come to identify with a man in whom I had perceived to be somewhat academically ethereal in relation to myself. That still maybe true but I saw a man with flaws and who struggled over many things. I enjoyed watching him struggle over Kuyper's view of baptismal regeneration and never being able to decide on the matter himself. That's Vos struggling there! It was fascinating to read, in one particular letter, Vos referring to the covenant of works as "so called." He shunned popularity and charged toward humility. Finally, it is interesting that his Biblical Theology of protology and eschatology never really caught on in the churches until students such as Dr. Richard Gaffin and a few others ran with it; to which I give many thanks.
  • The Letters of Geerhardus Vos begins with biography and ends with letters from Vos to various friends including: Bavink, Warfield, Kuyper, and Machen. Nothing in this book disappoints except the length. I simply wanted more.